Applying for Your Social Security Card:
You will need the following items/information to apply for your Social Security card:

  • Passport with J-1 Visa and Admission Stamp
  • Form I-94 – Arrival/Departure Record
  • Form DS-2019 – Certificate of Eligibility
  • Form SS-5 – Completed Social Security Application (available at Social Security office)
  • Job Sponsor’s letter showing your participation in the program
  • Address where you have access to receive your Social Security card
    NOTE: All documents must be originals or certified by the issuing agency

Social Security Office:
Location: Social Security Office, 1316 3rd Avenue, Conway, SC 29526
Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 9am-4pm, Wednesday: 9am-12pm, Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Directions to Social Security office (about 45 mins):

  • Take Coast RTA Bus Route C-7 either from 10th Ave. North Bus Transfer Center or Coastal Grand Mall (about 5 stops).
  • Get off at the Conway Terminal stop.
  • Turn left outside of the center (towards Lewis Street).
  • The Social Security office will be on your left.

If you cannot get to the Social Security office or need help, come to one of our J-1 student orientations!

Please visit www.socialsecurity.gov for more information or fill out an application online at https://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/

Social Security Downloadable Files
>International Students And Social Security Numbers
>Application for a Social Security Card

>Click here to learn employer responsibilities when hiring foreign workers.

After You Have Applied:
After you applied for your Social Security card you will receive a receipt. You can use this receipt as temporary proof until you receive the original card in the mail.

>Click for a list of 2018 Sponsors

If You Have Employee Related Problems or Concerns

We are here to help! If you are having any of the problems listed below with your employment or your employer, please contact your sponsor. If your sponsor is not available please contact U.S. State Department J1 Visa Emergency Hotline at (866) 283-9090 or Police Officer Pete Woods at (843) 918-1806.

  • You are not receiving the correct pay
  • You are being forced to work long hours
  • You are living in an unapproved location
  • You do not get enough hours of work

For more information on Rules of the J-1 Visa Program please visit: http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/current/rules-and-infractions/.