Below are some frequently asked Questions and Answers:

Q. What is a rental deposit? How much is it?
The deposit is required to cover any damages to the property. The amount varies, usually it equals one weeks rent for an apartment. If there are no damages to the property, you will receive the deposit back at the end of your stay.

Q. Is the weekly rent the total price for renting the apartment?
It depends on your lease; make sure you read it carefully and understand your obligations. Ask the owner if all utilities, such as electric, are included in the rent or whether there are any additional charges.

Q. What to do with a paycheck from my job?
You can cash it in the bank or deposit it in your bank account. Additional check cashing fees may apply unless you have an account with the bank you want to cash your paycheck in.

Q. What should I do if I get injured at work?
Inform your manager immediately. In case you get injured at work, the company is required take care of your treatment as well as all the medical bills, which should be paid by your employer.

Q: Where do I pay a parking ticket?
If it’s a parking meter ticket, you may pay at the Myrtle Beach Parking office, on the ground floor of the Pavilion Parking Garage. Follow the signs to the Complaint Desk. You also may pay parking tickets online. If it’s other than a parking meter ticket, you may pay it In the Law Enforcement Center at 1101 Oak Street, Myrtle Beach.

Q. When is the best time of the day to apply for a job?
Keep in mind the managers of hotels and restaurants are not able to speak with you during their busy hours. The best time to apply for a job in hotel is 10 am. – 12 pm., in a restaurant 2 pm. – 4 pm.

Q. Can I work without a Social Security Card?
When you apply for a card, you will be given a receipt to show your employer saying you are allowed to work until your Social Security card arrives. Be aware that some employers will not give you your paycheck unless you provide a Social Security number. Apply for your Social Security Card immediately after your arrival since it usually takes up to 3 – 4 weeks for your card and number to arrive.

Q. Do I have to pay taxes when working on J1 visa?
Yes, you are required to pay Federal and State Income Taxes. Ask your employer for a Form 507 so that Maryland Income Taxes will not be withheld from your pay. Make sure you do not pay Social Security, Medical or Medicaid taxes.